John Wooden, the former UCLA basketball coach widely regarded as the greatest ever, has written Six Ways to Bring Out the Best in Other People:
1. Keep courtesy and consideration for others foremost in your mind, at home and away.
2. Try to have fun without being funny.
3. While you can’t control what happens to you, you can control how you react. Make good manners an automatic reaction.
4. Seek individual opportunities to offer a genuine compliment.
5. Remember that sincerity, optimism and enthusiasm are more welcome than sarcasm, pessimism and laziness.
6. Laugh with others, never at them