As youth coaches, our jobs are to do more than just coach the X’s and O’s. Great coaches try to instill character, sportsmanship, work ethic and other qualities in their players.
No one better exemplified this than John Wooden, whose players not only learned excellent basketball fundamentals, but extremely valuable life lessons as well.
It would be a challenge for anyone to live up to Wooden’s Nine Promises that can Bring Happiness every day in every way, but imagine a world if everyone did.
1. Promise yourself that you will talk health, happiness, and prosperity as often as possible.
2. Promise yourself to make all your friends know there is something in them that is special and that you value
3. Promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best in yourself and others.
4. Promise to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
5. Promise yourself to be strong so that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
6. Promise to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements in the future.
7. Promise to wear a cheerful appearance at all times and give every person you meet a smile.
8. Promise to give so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
9. Promise to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, to strong for fear, and too happy to permit trouble to press on you.