Here is a great umpire checklist which we’ve adapted from one found on the website for Lynnfield Little League in Lynnfield, MA.
Pregame meeting at home plate
• Ask for managers to meet at home plate. Introduce coaches, umpires
• Discuss any local playing rules (time limit, playing boundaries, safety, etc.)
• Discuss the strike zone
• Discuss unsportsmanlike conduct by the players
• Discuss the pitch count rules and find out who the official scorer and pitch-count recorder are
• Discuss situations that may occur due to weather or darkness
• Inspect playing field for unsafe conditions
• Discuss no head-first slides, no on-deck hitter, players only warm only up pitchers and must wear mask.
• 5 game balls from home team 3 to home plate 2 to one base umpire. Home team supplies.
• Be sure players are not wearing any jewelry
• Be sure players are in uniform (shirts in, hats on)
• Inspect equipment for damage and to meet regulations
• Ensure that games start on time
During the Game — Umpires and Coaches
• Encourage coaches to help speed play by having catchers and players on the bench prepared and ready to take the field with two outs
• Make sure catchers are wearing the proper safety equipment
• Continually monitor the field for safety and playability
• Pitchers warming up in foul territory must have a spotter and catcher with helmet on
• Keep game moving — one minute or eight pitches to warm up the pitcher between innings
• Make calls loud and clear, signaling each properly
• Be in position to make every call
• No protesting of any judgment calls by the umpire
• Managers are responsible for keeping their fans and players on their best behavior
• Encourage everyone to think safety first!